HGUC Jesta

February 26, 2012 at 18:58 | Posted in 1/144 scale, Model kits | 4 Comments
Tags: , , , , ,

Introduction

Ever since I saw the concept art for the Jesta, I knew I had to get one once the model kit comes out. Since this is a grunt unit with a special-ops kinda look to it, I decided to give it a snow-camo paint job. I made some mock-ups of possible camo schemes, but I couldn’t decide whether to go for sharp or curvy camo patterns. Here’s what I was contemplating:

In the end I went for the curvy type.

Materials & Methods

The good thing about this kit is that there’s few seam lines to worry about; only the shoulders, forearms, head and rifle require fixing. I made some structural changes which included carving out the back of the knee for better kneeling posture, removing the missile from the shield, and drilling holes on the forehead bump. On top of that I added some detail parts mostly on the plain-looking backpack and some plaplate on the chest and ankle armors. I also filled some gaps on the knee & ankle joints as well as the backpack-to-shield connectors with epoxy putty, shown below:

To paint the camo pattern, I first primed the whole kit and then sprayed the first layer of German Gray. Then I applied the camo patterns I cut out from masking tape before applying the second layer using Gundam Color Spray (Zeon MS Gray). I repeated the process of applying camo patterns and spraying two more layers using Mr. Color Light Gray (1) and finally Mr. Color  Off-White.

For the weapons, I assigned the MSG Shotgun to the Jesta, because it would suit the special-ops feel. I decided to go easy on the decals this time, because it would have trouble standing out amidst the camo paintjob. And finally, to complete the snow warrior theme, I added some snow weathering effects on the feet using Tamiya weathering pastels.

Results

Discussion

First of all, I must say I love this kit. From the design, to the proportions and the bad-ass beam carbine. Shoulder articulation is very good, but I can’t say the same for the waist movement or knees (before modification, see here). As for my camo paintjob, it didn’t end up as cleanly as I wanted. Some of the paint (especially the final layer of Off-white) seeped between the masking tape and caused some unwanted smears on the patterns. I think this happened partly because the masking tape lost its adhesiveness and mostly because I applied too heavy a layer when spraying the white color, due to my impatience. Perhaps I was too ambitious in applying 4-shades of color for this camo scheme, but it served as a good lesson. But viewed from afar, I think it still looks good.

So in conclusion, I love this kit, even though I may have botched the painting a bit. With the exception of the RX-78 and Zaku, I seldom buy the same kits at different scales. But this Jesta will join that list if the MG ever comes out. I might even buy three of them…

Advertisements

4 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

  1. Nice work!!! I need to learn from you in terms of painting and adding weathering! XD

    • thanks! i really should be updating the how-to section :p

      • Yes! I would be looking forward to that! There will be an upcoming gunpla competition this summer in my country and I would like to try custom colors for a change and level up of skill! =3

  2. Nice camp pattern.I’m also Gona plan buying a Nesta and spray paints and even gunpla builder parts in megamall because its so hard to find these parts because they only sell gundam kits here in the philippines in some places


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: