RG Full Armor GundamJanuary 26, 2014 at 18:06 | Posted in 1/144 scale | 3 Comments
Tags: Full Armor Gundam, resin kit, RG Gundam, rx-78-2
Like the Dwadge, this is a resin c.o.v.e.r kit, where resin parts are glued on top of a base model. It’s originally meant for converting the HGUC RX-78-2 ver.30th, but I used the RG RX-78 instead since they’re quite similar.
Materials & methods:
Unlike the Dwadge, this Full Armor Gundam cover kit has a lot more parts, and they’re smaller too. So while the parts are soaking in detergent water overnight, I proceeded to assemble the RG RX-78-2 Gundam. After trimming excess resin parts, I did a test snap-fit of the resin parts to the assembled RX-78. Basically, it should look like this when attached to the HGUC Gundam kit.
Although the HGUC Gundam ver.30th and the RG version are aesthetically very close, the fitting of the resin parts are quite far off. I had to do quite a few modifications to the RG kit just to attach the resin parts properly using superglue. Even then, some parts just won’t fit nicely together so I just plugged whatever gaps with some epoxy putty.
The resin’s original color is cream, so obviously priming was a necessary step. The biceps, thighs and upper chest were sprayed with Light Gull Gray while the rest of the body is sprayed with MS Deep Green (Gundam Color Spray). In keeping with the RG theme, I decided to add another hue to the green parts so I did some masking using Tamiya tape and sprayed another layer of Olive Green. The orange parts were handpainted with enamel paints and the weapons were sprayed with Tamiya Gunmetal.
Panel-lining was done with light brown enamel paint and then I applied some dry-brushing & weathering pastels to the feet for some light weathering. The decals I used were mostly from the MG Full Armor Gundam set, plus some random warning decals. And lastly it’s the compulsory layer of flat topcoat.
Since this is a recast kit, the quality is not that good. Some details are lost & parts don’t fit too snugly. Added to the fact that it’s meant for the HGUC kit, my attempt at using the RG version turned out to be quite a challenge. A lot of pre-planning and masking was employed (plus copious amounts of super glue & putty). The only resin parts that I didn’t use were the feet, which came as a single resin block whereas the RG feet had 3 divisions. I thought it was too much work so I kept the original RG feet.
The kit also tends to lean and topple over backwards because of the heavy backpack. I couldn’t attach this kit to Bandai’s action base because the original part at the back was replaced with a resin part so I used a flexible wire-based stand for mid-air poses.
I’m quite impressed by the RG Gundam kit, especially the splitting armor at the thighs. Leg and elbow movement is very good, but I still couldn’t make a nice kneeling pose. The front skit armor tends to pop out though, just like the RG Zaku. Also, because the feet were quite small, thus having less surface area, the kit felt a bit unstable when standing upright.
In the end, I find that the finished product still looks presentable, but some parts still look a bit rough. I’m also not satisfied with the combination of the two hues of green that I used. But what’s done is done..