HGUC GM Ground Type (Work in Progress)July 31, 2014 at 17:15 | Posted in 1/144 scale, Work In Progress | 2 Comments
Tags: custom mod, GM Ground Type, HGUC Ground Type Gundam, kitbash, work in progress
My initial plan was to simply attach a spare GM head onto a HGUC Ground Type Gundam body and paint it accordingly. However as I began snap-fitting, I felt the uncontrollable urge to do more modifications. Instead of doing a half-assed conversion like my previous HGUC GM Sniper, I decided to follow the original design more closely, but with my own twist.
Head: I still have one spare GM head from the HGUC Ground Battle set, so no mods needed here. I merely added a reflective sheet on the eye sensor and painted the visor with clear green.
Backpack: The HGUC Ground Type Gundam only had the huge box-like backpack. So I used the RG Gundam backpack leftover from my RG Full Armor Gundam project. I attached a leftover sprue to the RG backpack to attach it to the body.
On either side of the RG backpack were some gaps where the beam sabre hilt was supposed to be attached. Since the GM Ground Type doesn’t have beam sabres on the backpack, I filled those gaps with some pla-plate and attached the yellow square thing from the RG’s front skirt on the sides.
Chest: Based on the GM Ground type design, the chest was modified so that both left and right sides are chest vents. First I plugged in the gaps with polyester putty, and then attached a square vent (Wave) on them. Inside the square vents, I added sheets of styrene for added detail.
To improve the torso posability and proportions, I attached a double ball joint to connect the upper and lower abdomen. The lower abdomen was also extended by attaching a sheet of 1.2mm pla-plate at the bottom.
Hips: I added another ball joint to connect the lower abdomen to the hips. The crotch for the GM is flatter than the Gundam’s, so I trimmed it, and covered it with a sheet of styrene.
On the back skirt, I added a slot for the knife from GM Sniper K9. I replaced the side skirt with the right forearm from a Jesta kit that holds magazines for the Sten Gun (see weapons section below). The other side was replaced with a pocket-like attachment from GM Sniper K9.
Arms: Like my previous two projects, I decided to elongate the arms by adding 1.2mm pla-plate to the biceps. I wanted to do the same to the forearm, but the position of the hole for the shield attachment was problematic. So instead I attached square vents at the wrists. I used a pair of RG RX-78 hands with flexible fingers and a pair of closed fists from B-club (resin).
Legs: I’ve always felt the legs of my HGUC GM Sniper were a bit short, so this time I elongated the legs by attaching 1.2mm pla-plate in the middle of the thighs. I further elongated the ankles by attaching 1.2mm pla-plate near the pegs that connect to the lower leg. I added some details to the feet using pla-plate.
Weapons: I decided to use the machine gun from the HGUC GM Cold District type that I bought from Yellow Submarine. I further modified it so that it looks like the Sten Gun used by British forces in WWII. The stock was from the Gelgoog rifle in System Weapon 002, while the barrel was from the sub machinegun included in the kit.
For more firepower, I decided to modify the artillery cannon included in the kit into another weapon used by the WWII British: the Bren Gun. The stock was taken from the huge rifle from the GM Sniper K9 kit. It was oversized, so it had to be cut it and the gaps were filled with epoxy putty. I glued an attachment for a bipod scavenged from System Weapon 001. I shortened the barrel and replaced the muzzle with a cone-like part. I also attached a handle made from spare parts to the barrel.
That’s about it for the major structural modifications. I also glued some detail parts & styrene strips here and there to add more features. For painting, I’ll stick to the original color scheme: tan brown + orange.
The completed kit can be viewed here.