HGUC Marasai

January 11, 2015 at 15:23 | Posted in 1/144 scale | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , ,

Introduction:

This is the first iteration of the HGUC Marasai kit, the one with the bright orange color scheme. I bought it during the height of the AOZ boom many years ago and while it was hybernating in my storeroom, Bandai has since released an MG version and a HGUC Unicorn version.

I finally got round to building this kit after re-watching episode 4 of the Unicorn OVA. I was inspired by the Zeon remnant units that appeared during the attack on Torrington base scene. I’m planning to build a couple more Zeon units from that scene, and this Marasai is just the beginning.

It became immediately obvious that I had to change the color scheme from orange to the drab green colors from the Unicorn version. In addition, I wanted to customize it further by swapping some parts & adding a military-style Zimmerit coating effect.

Materials & Methods:

I didn’t change too many things, but you can still find the WIP page here. I included the sub-machinegun from my Zaku F2 kit as a last-minute addition.

In addition to the above modifications, I also had to fix visible seam lines on the head, shoulders, forearms, thighs and backpack.

After spraying all parts with dark grey surfacer, I airbrushed the different parts as follows:

  • Chest, backpack, feet and forearms: Olive drab (Tamiya)
  • The rest of the body: Dark yellow (Tamiya) ~80% + Olive green ~20%
  • Power pipes/cables: Orange yellow + a few drops of red
  • Weapons: Machinegun & Feyadeen rifle (German gray); bazookas (MS Gray)

Then I applied weathering using enamel wash (yellow + brown), followed by some scratch marks using silver and black enamels. And as always, I added some decals and finally a spray of flat topcoat.

Results:

HGUC Marasai Unicorn ver.

Discussion:

I guess I can safely say that I achieved what I set out to do with this kit. Modifications were minimal, but I personally feel it looks better than the original kit. I stopped short of modifying the joints and improving articulation, because I didn’t want to spend too much time on this kit. I have more than enough pending projects already.

I initially feared that I messed up on the Zimmerit coating effect, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Using basic putty was a bit tricky, so next time I’ll experiment with epoxy putty. Speaking of putty, the biceps and thighs that I beefed up with epoxy putty looked a bit rough. Apparently I didn’t apply enough basic putty around the edges to make it more smooth.

But overall, I quite like how this kit turned out. Now that I got it out of the way, I can start work on other Zeon kits waiting on the pipeline.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: