HGUC GM Semi Striker: Work in progressJuly 3, 2016 at 12:51 | Posted in Work In Progress | Leave a comment
Tags: GM II, GM Semi Striker, HGUC, kitbash, P-Bandai, plaplate, work in progress
I have thought about converting my HGUC GM II into the Semi Striker by using some GM Striker parts, but then Bandai released the official HGUC GM Semi Striker kit on its P-Bandai website. Being the lazy person that I am, I decided to buy one for the sake of convenience. But that doesn’t mean that this will be an Out of Box build, as you will read below:
Head: The face feels a bit long, so I decided to shave the chin off a little bit. You can see the difference this makes compared to the original GM II head:
Torso: I added some plaplate & square plate on various positions on the chest to mimic the GM Striker design. The waist was elongated by a sheet of 1.2mm and 1mm plaplate.
Arms: Elongated the bicep using 1.2mm plaplate and added some panel lines on the forearms. Also attached some 0.5mm plaplate strips at the wrist.
Waist: Drilled some shallow holes on the front skirt and crotch. Added some parts from MS Armor on the front and side skirts. Glued 1.2mm plaplate on the peg to accommodate the elongated hip.
At the back, I attached a square plate and a bracket to hold a combat knife from Kotobukiya’s MSG Knife Set.
Legs: Lengthened the thighs by gluing 2mm square pipes at the top.
I didn’t like the original lower legs so I replaced them with more bulky ones from my HGUC Hazel II kit. On the back of the knees there’s a large, empty gap. So I covered it with a sheet of 1mm corrugated plaplate. I also glued 1.2mm plaplate on the bottom of the knee joints. On the lower leg, I filled the gap with epoxy putty and glued a piece of 0.5mm plaplate cut to resemble the GM Striker.
I kept the original feet but used a double ball joint to connect them to the legs. On the ankle guard I glued a strip of 0.5mm plaplate.
Backpack: I decided to use the GM Striker backpack which was actually a spare part from the kit. Modified the peg so that it attaches to the body and stuck a polycap on the right side to attach the beam spear. I used the original backpack verniers.
Weapons: The kit comes with the standard GM II beam rifle, which I chucked out almost immediately. I decided to use the small rifle included in the MS Option Set 1. Modified it a bit by attaching the magazine from the Jesta beam carbine and attaching a plastic pipe on the barrel.
I also have a forearm shield that came with Gundam Ace magazine. The peg fits nicely on the GM Semi Striker’s left forearm, so no modifications were needed.
Here’s the overall look before priming & painting. I’m thinking of painting it in GM Command (colony type) colors.