HGUC Galluss K – Work in progressDecember 11, 2016 at 17:57 | Posted in Work In Progress | 4 Comments
Tags: Galluss-K, HGUC Schuzrum Gallus, resin kit, work in progress, Zeon Remnant Project
The initial plan for this Galluss-K project is to kitbash the HGUC Schuzrum Galluss with an older HG 1/144 Gallus-J kit. That plan changed when I bought a Galluss-K resin kit conversion at the C3 hobby show. You’d think that this will then be a straight-forward job, but it turned out not to be the case. Now let’s get started:
From the figure below, I had three heads to choose from. I couldn’t decide between the Galluss J or K heads, so I kept both.
I had to remove some excess plastic from the Galluss-J head to accommodate the internal parts from the Schuzrum Galluss head.
I trimmed off the original monoeye from the Schuzrum Galluss part and attached a round plate. Onto that I will attach a clear pink lens from Wave.
The shoulder armor is from the resin kit, but I replaced the spikes with the ones from Kotobukiya MSG.
The arms are from the HGUC kit, but I had to remove the ‘sleeves’. I simply covered that part with putty and sanded it out.
The backpack consists of several huge chunks of resin. The resin kit didn’t come with any verniers, but fortunately I had plenty of spares lying around.
Another problem is that the original polycap joints in the HGUC body might not be able to support the backpack weight, leading to some balance issues. Therefore I decided to use the sturdier double ball joints from Hobby Base. I attached it to the upper body with some epoxy putty.
To connect the double joint to the hips, I attached a small pipe wrapped in epoxy putty to where the original polycap was. That way the body can still swivel sideways.
I had to trim some of the HGUC groin parts to accommodate the new resin part.
Likewise for the back part. In this case I had to remove a large chunk of the back skirt armor in order to attach the resin part.
The thighs are from the HGUC kit, but I attached some plaplate to hide the joint that connects the leg to the body.
I had to cut off the HGUC knee from the shin armor and attach the resin knee to the HGUC shin armor.
The rest of the leg is just attaching resin parts to the HGUC legs.
The resin kit comes with a shoulder mounted cannon and two forearm mounted cannons. I decided not to use the resin shoulder cannon and instead used the rifle from the HG Jahanam kit, with some modifications of course. First I cut off the rounded muzzle and replaced it with a rectangular vent. Then I cut off the grip and replaced it with a joint from Kotobukiya MSG.
In addition to the above mods, I had to perform extra work on the resin parts. First, I soaked them in soapy water followed by a light scrub to remove any excess chemicals on the surface. As I was test fitting, I noticed some surfaces of the resin were uneven. I remedied it using some basic putty and lots of sanding. I didn’t want any resin powder flying around in my room so I did wet sanding instead.
To bind the resin pieces together, super glue is often adequate. But to reinforce the binding, I inserted a metal rod or pin on one half of a resin part. That metal pin is then inserted into a hole I drilled on the other half.
So here’s what it looked like before painting:
For reference, here’s what was on display when I bought the resin kit.