HGUC Galluss K

December 18, 2016 at 00:13 | Posted in 1/144 scale | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , ,

Introduction:

Two types of Gallusses appeared in the Unicorn OVA: the Galluss K and Schuzrum Galluss. I’m more interested in the Galluss K, but unfortunately there’s no HGUC kit of it. However, there is an old 1/144 scale Galluss J kit that looks a bit similar to the Galluss K. I initially planned to kitbash the Galluss J and HGUC Schuzrum Galluss kits, but later on I bought a Galluss K resin conversion kit at the C3 Chara-Hobby show.

Materials & Methods:

The resin conversion kit requires a HGUC Schuzrum Galluss kit. You can read about the building process here.

Later on, I decided to add some bits of plaplate at the shins, chest and leg verniers for added detail. I also used the large hands from Jigen Build Knuckles (round).

All parts were primed with Gaianotes Evospray Dark gray surfacer. I would have liked to tell you the paint ratios that I used for airbrushing, but I mixed a lot of paints that day and I forgot how I got the colors. That or the thinner fumes destroyed some of my neurons resulting in brief memory loss.

Anyway, after painting’s done, I applied an enamel wash using yellow + dark brown enamel paints. Then I added further weathering effects in the form of paint chipping using black + german gray enamels. Then I applied some decals and finished it with flat topcoat.

Results:

HGUC Galluss K

There’s actually not too many action poses I can make with it

And finally here’s some size comparisons. The Galluss K definitely belongs to the heavyweight class of mobile suits. It towers above the standard Zaku/Gouf units and is similar in height to my Zee Zulu and Dom Tropen.

Zee Zulu, Galluss K, DomTropen Efreet Schneid, Galluss K, Desert Zaku

Discussion:

Despite the huge cost, I have no regrets purchasing this Galluss K resin conversion kit. The fitting is almost perfect and there’s no obvious gaps between parts. The only downside is that some parts have uneven surfaces.

Design-wise, it’s pretty basic. There’s no added details and it’s mostly large smooth surfaces. The only part that bothers me is the large chunk of resin behind the knees. They restrict movement to just a slight knee bend, reducing the number of dynamic poses I can make with it. The weight of the backpack would probably hinder dynamic posing anyway.

Speaking of weight, this is one of the heaviest 1/144 kits I have ever built, weighing in at 141 grams. For reference, a typical plastic HGUC kit is approximately 50 grams. Despite its weight, the joints feel father solid. I just hope the ankle joints can hold out.

So now that this is done with, the conclusion to my Zeon Remnants Project is getting ever closer…

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: