HGUC GM Kai – Work in progress

February 27, 2018 at 21:20 | Posted in Work In Progress | 2 Comments
Tags: , , , ,

I had some HGUC GM type C (a.k.a GM Kai) parts leftover from the GM Wagtail build. So I decided to augment it with parts from the HGUC GM Custom kit. I kept the original GM Kai head, and it’s the only part that’s not modified. The rest are as follows:

On the top part of the GM Custom chest, I added some panel lines and plaplate strips to add more detail. At the waist, I added 2.4mm plaplate to lengthen it.

To compensate for the lengthened waist, I also elongated the hip joint by 2.4mm.

The front skirt armor was from the GM kai; while at the back skirt, I removed the square block things and filled the gaps with putty.

On the sides of the crotch, I added round plates.

I added a round pipe and some leftover M.S.G parts on the side skirt armor to add more detail.

I already used the GM Kai backpack on my HGUC GM Sniper build. So this time I used the GM II backpack. The pegs don’t match the holes in the GM Custom body, so I used spare runner and epoxy putty to fashion new ones.



I used the arms from the HGUC Powered GM kit. For easier parts separation during painting, I had to modify the elbow joints like so:

As a result, the elbow joint can be easily slotted into the forearm after painting.

I removed some bits from the wrist, and added a square vent from Wave. I had to cut a hole through the square vent so that the hand can be attached.

On the forearms, I added some 1mm plaplate strips for added detail.

The legs were from the GM Custom kit. Again, for easier part separation, I modified the knee joints like so: The red bit shows parts that were trimmed off.

Inside the thighs, I removed some bits of plastic, indicated in red below:

I did the same for the lower legs. The photo below shows the top view:

So now the knee joint can slide into the thighs and lower legs.

The thighs were elongated by 3.6mm. That’s 3 sheets of 1.2mm plaplate. The method I used is in this post.

The GM Custom and GM Kai knees are quite different, as you can see below:

So I transplanted the knee armor from the GM II, resulting in something like this: Uneven parts were filled with polyester putty and sanded down.


You may have noticed the top part of the knee looks different from the original GM Kai knee. To address this issue, I recreated the notch shown by the marker lines in the ‘before’ pic. I did that by simply attaching some strips of plaplate according to the shape. Leftover plastic was trimmed and uneven surfaces were covered with polyester & basic putty.

The MG GM Kai boxart featured a long rifle. Since the HGUC version doesn’t have one, I decided to make one myself.
First, I cut off the barrel and magazine from the original GM rifle. For the new magazine, I used 2 square plates from HD MS Panel 01, with 1mm plaplate sandwiched between. The new barrel was fashioned from a mix of spare runner, plaplate and M.S.G parts.

So here’s what it looked like halfway through. I took this pic before I was finished with all the modifications mentioned above, but you get the idea.

It’s been a while since I made quite a detailed work-in-progress post. I hope you’ll find it useful.



RSS feed for comments on this post.

  1. looking forward to the completed paint job!

  2. Thank you for the detailed work in progress post. It surely go us some ideas to do customs on our own

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: