GM Thunderbolt – Work in progress

June 27, 2018 at 21:46 | Posted in Work In Progress | 3 Comments
Tags: , , ,

The Thunderbolt GM looks quite interesting, but I didn’t like some aspects of the design such as the wrinkly joints, astronaut backpack, and the excessive thruster nozzles. So I decided to give it a makeover, using spare parts from various HGUC and Thunderbolt kits.

Head:
The leftover head from the HGUC GM Ground Type kit was used. To make it look more like a typical GM, the goatee (chin protrusion) and mutton chops (cheek vents?) were shaved off.

Body:
The S-type Thunderbolt Gundam body was used for this build. It looks a bit stumpy, so some extensions were needed. Firstly, 1.2mm plaplate was attached on the top part of the mid-abdomen. I think the figure below is more explanatory.

Then, 1.2mm and 1mm plaplate was attached to the bottom of the waist part.

The original peg on the hips was cut off, and a polycap was inserted into the remaining hole. This will hold the ball joint (Kotobukiya MSG) that connects the torso together.

Backpack:
Although I didn’t like the astronaut backpack of the Thunderbolt GM, I still liked the extended arms concept. So a completely movable set of joints were made from various Kotobukiya MSG parts, and attached to the S-Type Gundam backpack. These arms will hold a pair of shields leftover from my previous GM builds.

Additionally, a spare tank (MS Builder parts) was attached to the S-Type backpack.

Arms:
The original GM Thunderbolt shoulders were kept, but the arms were from the GM Ground Type. On to the shoulders, some pla strips and detail parts (Koto MSG) were attached to where the nozzles should be.

The original shoulder joint was required to join the various parts together, so the wrinkles were covered up with polyester putty, followed by basic putty.

Legs:
The thighs and knee joints were from the HGUC GM II kit. The thighs were extended by 2mm using pla pipes (covered in yellow polyester putty below:)

The lower legs were from the Thunderbolt S-Type Gundam. No modifications were applied. The feet were from the HGUC GM II, and ball joints from Hobby Base were used to connect them to the legs.

On the ankle guards, 1mm strip was attached to disguise the seam line.

Weapons:
The right hand was armed with a submachine gun from Kotobukiya MSG. The original grip was small and was loose when placed into the HG GM hands. So the grip from the HGUC GM II rifle was transplanted to the MSG gun.

The left hand was armed with a cannon-shield(?) thing. I got it from the HG campaign a few years back. Some bits of 1.2mm plaplate was attached on top of the shield:

The position of the handle was modified, and some plaplate was used to attach it to the forearms. Also, some detail parts were added to the top part:

So this is how it roughly looked like:

For the painting, I plan to stick to the original color scheme.

Advertisements

3 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

  1. This looks really cool!

  2. I would love to see a picture of how you dissemble the kit for painting purposes, specialy with your plaplate mods for seam line hiding.

    • they’re easily separated for painting because no glue was used. that’s the main point of seam line hiding. I’ll make a proper tutorial for it later.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: