HG Buku

September 20, 2017 at 02:13 | Posted in 1/144 scale | 1 Comment
Tags: , , , ,

Introduction:

I bought the HG Bugu kit in order to use the legs for my Zaku Cannon project. Rather than leaving the Bugu legless, I decided to do a kitbash with Zaku I parts.

Thus, Buku = Bugu x Zaku. For the color scheme, the main inspiration for this build is the old MG kit, Ramba Ral’s Zaku I.

Materials & methods:

I used the Thunderbolt Zaku I head, and attached a commander’s antenna from MS Blade 01 set. Made the eye slit slightly narrower near the middle using some putty.

I removed the ladders on the shoulder armor and replaced the backpack with Char’s Zaku II backpack. Extra thrusters on the top were covered with putty.

The power cables on the torso were removed and the gap in the abdomen was filled with putty.

The legs were from Char’s Zaku I kit. I covered some panel lines on the thighs and calves with basic putty.

For weapons, I bought the HGUC GP02 bazooka and a 1/12 scale resin Lewis machinegun at Yellow Submarine.
For melee weapons, I used the axe from my old HGUC Garma Zabi Zaku II kit. I also made a handheld Zaku shield with spikes.

The torso was painted with Intermediate blue + white, while the limbs & head were painted with a mix of cobalt blue + german gray.
After that it’s decals, light weathering, and flat topcoat.

 

Results:

A closer look at the weapons:

And finally some poses:

Discussion:

The good thing about the HG Bugu kit is that it’s modern kit, making kitbashing a relatively painless process.
There were some worrisome moments, for example when applying the decals. Some waterslide decals in my collection may well be 10 years old, and were prone to tearing.
Also, the ugly gash on the back of the right leg is not a weathering effect, but was the result of some accidental touching before the topcoat layer actually dried.
But overall, it was fun making a hybrid Bugu/Zaku look like Ramba Ral’s Zaku I.

Advertisements

HGUC Juaggu

July 5, 2017 at 22:36 | Posted in 1/144 scale | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , ,

Introduction:

The Juaggu design is all sorts of unconventional: a dorayaki-shaped head, an acorn-shaped body, an elephant trunk, three-digit hands, and washing machine water hose for legs.
The other parts I can get used to, but those legs just have to go. I used the HGUC Juaggu (MSV version) from P-Bandai because of ((reasons)), and replaced the leg with HGUC Hygogg legs.

Materials & methods:

You can read the work in progress here.
The plastic colors of the MSV Juaggu were a shade of milk-chocolate and dark chocolate. I repainted this kit according to the Juaggu colors as it appeared in the OVA.
The colors I used were straight from the bottle, except for the light brown parts which were a mix of Khaki and grey-brown.
Some masking was required for the crotch part and the four red nipple cannons.
After the decals I applied some scratch marks using my fine tip Gundam marker and finished with flat topcoat.

Results:

Some action poses:

 

Discussion:

I have to admit, I’m starting to warm up to the Juaggu design. It still looks goofy, but somewhat endearing. Not sure whether the added tusks and mohawk made things any better.
But I have no regrets replacing the legs. The only downside to the Hygogg legs are the really weak polycap joints at the knees. The Juaggu tends to topple over unless the legs are spread apart to lower the center of gravity. So posing was a bit troublesome. Another minus point is the right arm of the MSV Juaggu. The arms can hardly bend to 90 degrees.
But overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how well this kit ended up looking. Hopefully the same can be said for the Zogok…

HGUC RB-79/K Ball

April 4, 2017 at 20:35 | Posted in 1/144 scale | 1 Comment
Tags: , , , , ,

Introduction
What’s better than having a Ball? Having a pair, of course. The previous HG Thunderbolt Ball got me interested in more Balls, but the HGUC Ball set looked too plain to my liking.
So I purchased a different Ball set, this one from Premium Bandai. This kit features the orange RB-79K Ball from 08th MS Team, and the RB-79 Sharkmouth Ball from MS Igloo. I decided to keep to the orange color scheme for the RB-79K, but for the RB-79 Sharkmouth, I went for the MG Ball ver. Ka color scheme.

Materials & methods:
Not much modifications this time; I simply added some detail-up parts just to spruce things up. I used clear lens from Wave for the RB-79K headlights.
For the RB-79, I removed the extra thrusters from its bottom and added extra rings inside the side thrusters.

Painting:
This time, painting was done wholly by airbrush. For some colors, I used the remaining paint that I decanted from almost empty spray cans. They can be used directly on the airbrush without thinner. I sprayed gray surfacer on all parts and proceeded with painting like so:

  • Arms: MS Gray, Dark gray 31, dark gray 32
  • Weapons: ~80% German gray + ~20% dark gray 31
  • Verniers: gloss black, followed by starbright duralumin
  • RB-79K body: 90% orange yellow + 10% red
  • RB-79 body: 80% dark gray 31 + 20% off white

After that it’s panel lining, decals, and flat topcoat, in that order. No weathering this time; I wanted to go for a clean look.

Results:

First up, the pseudo ver. ka Ball:

And now the Orange Ball:

And finally, Balls:

Discussion:

Some plus points about this kit:

  • Parts separation is very good, making painting a relative breeze.
  • Arms have several points of articulation, increasing the range of movement
  • Canopy cover is clear plastic (yay!)
  • Comes with two extra head cannons

I don’t have anything negative to say about this kit, other than the small stand. I guess it’s better than nothing, but I still prefer the Thunderbolt Ball stand. Overall, it was really fun building something different.

Next Page »

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.