Tags: ザクキャノン, kitbash, weathering, Zaku Cannon, Zeon Remnant Project
There isn’t a HGUC Zaku Cannon kit released yet; only a MG kit and some old MSV kits. I bought a 1/144 Zaku Cannon resin kit from Yahoo Auctions, but that thing was a brick. I wanted to build something with more articulation. So I decided to combine parts of that resin kit, an old 1/144 MSV kit and several HG parts to make my own version of the Zaku Cannon.
It has been a work in progress for quite some time, and now it’s finally done. Throughout the build, only one thing remained constant: the shoulder cannon. All other parts were the result of trial & error to see what works best.
Materials & methods:
The work in progress page can be read here.
For painting, I went for the color scheme that appeared in the Unicorn OVA. All these were airbrushed.
- Main body: Brown-grey (Gaianotes)
- Forearms, feet: Russian green (Mr. Color)
- Front skirt, knees: German Grey + Propellar color (Mr. Color)
- Thighs: Light gull grey (Mr. Color)
- Weapons, backpack: German gray (Mr. Color)
- Joints: Dark gray 2 (decanted from spray can)
After the paint has dried, it’s the standard course: panel lining, decals, light weathering & flat topcoat.
The main cannon and side cannons can be folded to the back
And now some action poses:
To be honest, I didn’t really know how this would turn up. During work-in-progress I just focused on each part separately, without doing any test fitting prior to painting. I messed up some of the decals but overall I think the whole thing looks quite alright. The HG Bugu legs don’t look out of place, either.
While it looks fine standing up, I had to be careful when posing it for the photoshoot. The joints were kinda stiff and I was paranoid about breaking something. Also I unintentionally scraped some of the paint off while fiddling with different poses. Fortunately they were small enough for me to disguise them as weathering, simply by drawing over them using my black, fine tip Gundam marker.
According to my initial plan, this build should’ve been the last of my Zeon Remnants Project. But I’m thinking of adding one (or maybe two) more builds to this project. Stay tuned…