Freedom Gundam

March 4, 2008 at 18:14 | Posted in Master Grade | 2 Comments
Tags: , , , ,


This model was another put under the category ‘build n forget’. After months serving as a dust collector I decided to give some Justice (pun intended) to this kit. I was never a fan of the standard Gundam red-white-blue-yellow color scheme, so I planned to paint it with custom colors. Several color schemes were considered (e.g. pink Rouge Freedom, salmon pink Char’s Freedom, military green freedom) before I decided to replicate the color scheme from this image I found off the internet:


Materials & Methods:

The kit was already snap-fitted by a friend, so my task was to disassemble, modify and paint it. Actually, the only noticeable modification was to the shield. Out goes the red thing in the middle and the resulting gaps were filled with epoxy putty. Also took the liberty to remove the beam rifle cover, which I think looked silly.

For painting, I wanted to use dark grey spray can, but I ran out of it. So I went to a Tamiya shop and the closest color they had was mica dark blue. For the reds, I used a can of mica red paint. Some masking was needed for the front skirt armor.

I used dry transfer decals along with some Seed & Strike Noir water slide decals.  The spray paints used were glossy and in order to protect the decals I needed to apply some topcoat. Unfortunately only flat topcoat was available so I had to forsake the glossiness of the red & dark blue paints.


free_01.jpg free_02.jpg free_06.jpg

free_05.jpg free_03.jpg free_04.jpg

free_08.jpg free_09.jpg free_13.jpg

free_10.jpg free_12.jpg free_15.jpg


Because I didn’t actually build it myself, I can’t comment on the building process. But I did have to fix the seam lines on the wing beam cannon and the side skirt. Also, I broke the white V-fin not once, but twice. Hopefully the glue stays on this time. This was also one of my earliest use of water-slide decals and I found that it was fun, especially in finding the right design and location for the decal.

As for the kit itself, it looks very nicely proportioned and has very good articulation. Not as much panel lines as the RG version, and in fact I prefer the proportions of this MG version to the new RG Freedom. Overall, I think it was well done and I’m quite satisfied with the result.

Blog at
Entries and comments feeds.