Tags: ボールK型, Ball ver. ka, HGUC Ball, HGUCボール, MS 08th Ball, RBK-79K Ball
What’s better than having a Ball? Having a pair, of course. The previous HG Thunderbolt Ball got me interested in more Balls, but the HGUC Ball set looked too plain to my liking.
So I purchased a different Ball set, this one from Premium Bandai. This kit features the orange RB-79K Ball from 08th MS Team, and the RB-79 Sharkmouth Ball from MS Igloo. I decided to keep to the orange color scheme for the RB-79K, but for the RB-79 Sharkmouth, I went for the MG Ball ver. Ka color scheme.
Materials & methods:
Not much modifications this time; I simply added some detail-up parts just to spruce things up. I used clear lens from Wave for the RB-79K headlights.
For the RB-79, I removed the extra thrusters from its bottom and added extra rings inside the side thrusters.
This time, painting was done wholly by airbrush. For some colors, I used the remaining paint that I decanted from almost empty spray cans. They can be used directly on the airbrush without thinner. I sprayed gray surfacer on all parts and proceeded with painting like so:
- Arms: MS Gray, Dark gray 31, dark gray 32
- Weapons: ~80% German gray + ~20% dark gray 31
- Verniers: gloss black, followed by starbright duralumin
- RB-79K body: 90% orange yellow + 10% red
- RB-79 body: 80% dark gray 31 + 20% off white
After that it’s panel lining, decals, and flat topcoat, in that order. No weathering this time; I wanted to go for a clean look.
First up, the pseudo ver. ka Ball:
And now the Orange Ball:
And finally, Balls:
Some plus points about this kit:
- Parts separation is very good, making painting a relative breeze.
- Arms have several points of articulation, increasing the range of movement
- Canopy cover is clear plastic (yay!)
- Comes with two extra head cannons
I don’t have anything negative to say about this kit, other than the small stand. I guess it’s better than nothing, but I still prefer the Thunderbolt Ball stand. Overall, it was really fun building something different.