March 15, 2018 at 22:04 | Posted in 1/144 scale | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , ,


To be honest, I’m not a big fan of the standard GM colors (mint green & red). But since it’s the year of the GM, I should make at least one kit with that iconic color scheme. I thought the GM Type C (GM Kai) would be fitting; after all, the MG version did come with that color. I had some HGUC GM Kai parts leftover from the GM Wagtail build, but not enough to build a complete kit. So I used the HGUC GM Custom kit and other HGUC spare parts to compensate.

Materials & methods:

The work in progress can be found here.
After giving all parts a coat of grey surfacer, I proceeded to apply some preshading lines using German gray. The paint mix is as follows:

  • Torso & feet: 80% red + 20% orange
  • The rest of the body: 90% white + 5% green + 5% intermediate blue
  • Backpack: 60% midnight blue + 40% intermediate blue
  • Thrusters: Starbright duralumin
  • Weapons: German gray
  • Joints: Mr. Color dark gray (2)

After painting I applied an enamel wash using black enamel. I followed that up with some paint chipping effects using fine tip gundam markers. Then I placed some decals to mimic the ver. ka style, like in this pic:

Some decals were a bit too white, so I dabbed some weathering pastel on top. I finished with several layers of flat topcoat.


And some action poses. It wasn’t as fun to play around with compared to my previous GIMM build. I guess that’s expected, since the GIMM was based on the newer RX-78 Revive while the GM Kai is mostly based off the older GM Custom kit.

I was hoping to finish this kit by the end of February, but it’s really cold this year. My Gunpla activity tends to be slower in lower temperatures. Plus February’s a short month. OK, I’m just making excuses.

In the end, I got the look I wanted. But because I was rushing through the project, some details appear a bit rough. I was also a bit worried that I elongated the thighs too much, but I think it turned out alright.

Overall, not by best work, but I’m happy enough with the ver. Ka feel of this build. So next up is the GM head.

HGUC GM Kai – Work in progress

February 27, 2018 at 21:20 | Posted in Work In Progress | 3 Comments
Tags: , , , ,

I had some HGUC GM type C (a.k.a GM Kai) parts leftover from the GM Wagtail build. So I decided to augment it with parts from the HGUC GM Custom kit. I kept the original GM Kai head, and it’s the only part that’s not modified. The rest are as follows:

On the top part of the GM Custom chest, I added some panel lines and plaplate strips to add more detail. At the waist, I added 2.4mm plaplate to lengthen it.

To compensate for the lengthened waist, I also elongated the hip joint by 2.4mm.

The front skirt armor was from the GM kai; while at the back skirt, I removed the square block things and filled the gaps with putty.

On the sides of the crotch, I added round plates.

I added a round pipe and some leftover M.S.G parts on the side skirt armor to add more detail.

I already used the GM Kai backpack on my HGUC GM Sniper build. So this time I used the GM II backpack. The pegs don’t match the holes in the GM Custom body, so I used spare runner and epoxy putty to fashion new ones.



I used the arms from the HGUC Powered GM kit. For easier parts separation during painting, I had to modify the elbow joints like so:

As a result, the elbow joint can be easily slotted into the forearm after painting.

I removed some bits from the wrist, and added a square vent from Wave. I had to cut a hole through the square vent so that the hand can be attached.

On the forearms, I added some 1mm plaplate strips for added detail.

The legs were from the GM Custom kit. Again, for easier part separation, I modified the knee joints like so: The red bit shows parts that were trimmed off.

Inside the thighs, I removed some bits of plastic, indicated in red below:

I did the same for the lower legs. The photo below shows the top view:

So now the knee joint can slide into the thighs and lower legs.

The thighs were elongated by 3.6mm. That’s 3 sheets of 1.2mm plaplate. The method I used is in this post.

The GM Custom and GM Kai knees are quite different, as you can see below:

So I transplanted the knee armor from the GM II, resulting in something like this: Uneven parts were filled with polyester putty and sanded down.


You may have noticed the top part of the knee looks different from the original GM Kai knee. To address this issue, I recreated the notch shown by the marker lines in the ‘before’ pic. I did that by simply attaching some strips of plaplate according to the shape. Leftover plastic was trimmed and uneven surfaces were covered with polyester & basic putty.

The MG GM Kai boxart featured a long rifle. Since the HGUC version doesn’t have one, I decided to make one myself.
First, I cut off the barrel and magazine from the original GM rifle. For the new magazine, I used 2 square plates from HD MS Panel 01, with 1mm plaplate sandwiched between. The new barrel was fashioned from a mix of spare runner, plaplate and M.S.G parts.

So here’s what it looked like halfway through. I took this pic before I was finished with all the modifications mentioned above, but you get the idea.

Completed kit can now be viewed here.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.