HGUC Marasai

January 11, 2015 at 15:23 | Posted in 1/144 scale | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , ,

Introduction:

This is the first iteration of the HGUC Marasai kit, the one with the bright orange color scheme. I bought it during the height of the AOZ boom many years ago and while it was hybernating in my storeroom, Bandai has since released an MG version and a HGUC Unicorn version.

I finally got round to building this kit after re-watching episode 4 of the Unicorn OVA. I was inspired by the Zeon remnant units that appeared during the attack on Torrington base scene. I’m planning to build a couple more Zeon units from that scene, and this Marasai is just the beginning.

It became immediately obvious that I had to change the color scheme from orange to the drab green colors from the Unicorn version. In addition, I wanted to customize it further by swapping some parts & adding a military-style Zimmerit coating effect.

Materials & Methods:

I didn’t change too many things, but you can still find the WIP page here. I included the sub-machinegun from my Zaku F2 kit as a last-minute addition.

In addition to the above modifications, I also had to fix visible seam lines on the head, shoulders, forearms, thighs and backpack.

After spraying all parts with dark grey surfacer, I airbrushed the different parts as follows:

  • Chest, backpack, feet and forearms: Olive drab (Tamiya)
  • The rest of the body: Dark yellow (Tamiya) ~80% + Olive green ~20%
  • Power pipes/cables: Orange yellow + a few drops of red
  • Weapons: Machinegun & Feyadeen rifle (German gray); bazookas (MS Gray)

Then I applied weathering using enamel wash (yellow + brown), followed by some scratch marks using silver and black enamels. And as always, I added some decals and finally a spray of flat topcoat.

Results:

HGUC Marasai Unicorn ver.

Discussion:

I guess I can safely say that I achieved what I set out to do with this kit. Modifications were minimal, but I personally feel it looks better than the original kit. I stopped short of modifying the joints and improving articulation, because I didn’t want to spend too much time on this kit. I have more than enough pending projects already.

I initially feared that I messed up on the Zimmerit coating effect, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Using basic putty was a bit tricky, so next time I’ll experiment with epoxy putty. Speaking of putty, the biceps and thighs that I beefed up with epoxy putty looked a bit rough. Apparently I didn’t apply enough basic putty around the edges to make it more smooth.

But overall, I quite like how this kit turned out. Now that I got it out of the way, I can start work on other Zeon kits waiting on the pipeline.

HGUC Marasai: Work in Progress

November 5, 2014 at 14:34 | Posted in Work In Progress | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , ,

I didn’t really have grand plans for this build. During snap-fitting, I identified parts of the kit that I didn’t like and proceeded to modify them. The real aim was to try out the Zimmerit coating effect, often seen on military models. The military-ish design of the Marasai makes it a good guinea pig to test this technique. So lets start with the head:

The monoeye was just a black, solid piece of plastic where you attach a monoeye sticker. That just won’t do, so I fashioned a DIY monoeye unit by first clearing excess plastic around the monoeye. Then I glued a runner vertically to serve as an anchor for the monoeye. The monoeye itself is made up of a leg pipe piece from a RG Zaku, a round plate and a pink clear lens from M.S.G.

marawip_06 marawip_07

I decided to replace the shoulders with spare ones from my Gouf custom kit. I had to replace the rounded peg on the left shoulder with a spare runner. No other modifications were needed for the Gouf shoulders.

marawip_05

The biceps and thighs look a bit skinny, so I beefed them up by attaching some epoxy putty on the sides. I smoothed the edges by applying some basic putty and sanding them.

marawip_01 marawip_02

I used different sets of extra hands: a pair of resin fists by B-club, a weapon-holding left hand from Builders Parts, and a sword-holding right hand from System Weapon 004.

marawip_10

For the Zimmerit coating, I wasn’t sure what kind of putty would work best. As a first attempt, I decided to use basic putty. First I applied the basic putty (without thinner) to the feet and some parts around the lower leg. Then I used a Zimmerit pattern applicator to create the effect.

marawip_03 marawip_04

For the weapons, I decided to arm it with the Feyadeen rifle from the HGUC Marasai Unicorn ver. I bought the parts from Yellow Submarine. It looked a bit plain, so I added some detail parts. For melee combat, I used the big sword from System Weapon 004.

marawip_08 marawip_09

As if that wasn’t enough, I also have a pair of Kampfer bazookas that I got from the ‘Junk City’ section of a hobby show. I swapped the position of the sights so that they both face the eyes when dual-wielding.

marawip_11

The completed kit can now be viewed here.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.