HG Buku

September 20, 2017 at 02:13 | Posted in 1/144 scale | 1 Comment
Tags: , , , ,

Introduction:

I bought the HG Bugu kit in order to use the legs for my Zaku Cannon project. Rather than leaving the Bugu legless, I decided to do a kitbash with Zaku I parts.

Thus, Buku = Bugu x Zaku. For the color scheme, the main inspiration for this build is the old MG kit, Ramba Ral’s Zaku I.

Materials & methods:

I used the Thunderbolt Zaku I head, and attached a commander’s antenna from MS Blade 01 set. Made the eye slit slightly narrower near the middle using some putty.

I removed the ladders on the shoulder armor and replaced the backpack with Char’s Zaku II backpack. Extra thrusters on the top were covered with putty.

The power cables on the torso were removed and the gap in the abdomen was filled with putty.

The legs were from Char’s Zaku I kit. I covered some panel lines on the thighs and calves with basic putty.

For weapons, I bought the HGUC GP02 bazooka and a 1/12 scale resin Lewis machinegun at Yellow Submarine.
For melee weapons, I used the axe from my old HGUC Garma Zabi Zaku II kit. I also made a handheld Zaku shield with spikes.

The torso was painted with Intermediate blue + white, while the limbs & head were painted with a mix of cobalt blue + german gray.
After that it’s decals, light weathering, and flat topcoat.

 

Results:

A closer look at the weapons:

And finally some poses:

Discussion:

The good thing about the HG Bugu kit is that it’s modern kit, making kitbashing a relatively painless process.
There were some worrisome moments, for example when applying the decals. Some waterslide decals in my collection may well be 10 years old, and were prone to tearing.
Also, the ugly gash on the back of the right leg is not a weathering effect, but was the result of some accidental touching before the topcoat layer actually dried.
But overall, it was fun making a hybrid Bugu/Zaku look like Ramba Ral’s Zaku I.

Advertisements

HGUC Juaggu

July 5, 2017 at 22:36 | Posted in 1/144 scale | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , ,

Introduction:

The Juaggu design is all sorts of unconventional: a dorayaki-shaped head, an acorn-shaped body, an elephant trunk, three-digit hands, and washing machine water hose for legs.
The other parts I can get used to, but those legs just have to go. I used the HGUC Juaggu (MSV version) from P-Bandai because of ((reasons)), and replaced the leg with HGUC Hygogg legs.

Materials & methods:

You can read the work in progress here.
The plastic colors of the MSV Juaggu were a shade of milk-chocolate and dark chocolate. I repainted this kit according to the Juaggu colors as it appeared in the OVA.
The colors I used were straight from the bottle, except for the light brown parts which were a mix of Khaki and grey-brown.
Some masking was required for the crotch part and the four red nipple cannons.
After the decals I applied some scratch marks using my fine tip Gundam marker and finished with flat topcoat.

Results:

Some action poses:

 

Discussion:

I have to admit, I’m starting to warm up to the Juaggu design. It still looks goofy, but somewhat endearing. Not sure whether the added tusks and mohawk made things any better.
But I have no regrets replacing the legs. The only downside to the Hygogg legs are the really weak polycap joints at the knees. The Juaggu tends to topple over unless the legs are spread apart to lower the center of gravity. So posing was a bit troublesome. Another minus point is the right arm of the MSV Juaggu. The arms can hardly bend to 90 degrees.
But overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how well this kit ended up looking. Hopefully the same can be said for the Zogok…

HGUC Juaggu – Work in progress

June 20, 2017 at 01:28 | Posted in Work In Progress | 3 Comments
Tags: , , , ,

For this build, I’ll be using the MSV version of the Juaggu, obtained from P-Bandai website. So as always let’s go through it part by part:

Head:
Unlike most gunpla, the Juaggu’s head is huge. That leaves a lot of space for modifications. I decided to stick a beam axe from the HG Jahanam kit in the middle, resulting in a mohawk-like hairdo. I trimmed off some parts of the beam axe to make it fit to the head.

Here’s what it looks like with the clear part attached:

I decided to supplement the Juaggu’s elephant-ish design by attaching a pair of tusks. They’re actually the shoulder spikes from my HGBF Gouf R35.

For the monoeye, I drilled a hole at the original spot and attached the lens socket from MS Lens.

 

Arms:
The main difference between the MSV version and the regular release is the arm. The MSV version has a regular right arm and a triple cannon left arm. I replaced the right hand with 1/100 Zeon type hands from MS Hands. Also decided to procure the pincer claws from the HG Mobile Worker kit.

Seam lines were very obvious on the shoulders. Instead of removing them using the usual method, I attached a strip of pla-plate in the middle of the seam line to hide it.

 

Legs:
The legs are the one thing that I just have to replace. The original ones look like a water hose from a washing machine. I wasn’t sure which legs to replace them with, so I browsed through dalong.net and narrowed it down to Hygogg or Mobile Worker legs. I made a rough mockup of how they would look like and decided to go for the Hygogg legs.

To attach the Hygogg legs to the Juaggu, I removed the original Juaggu hip joint and attached a ball joint socket from Hobby Base.

I also decided to use different types of feet for this, so I used the leftover Gallus-J feet. I trimmed of the toes a little bit and used more Hobby Base ball joints & sockets to attach them to the Hygogg legs.

So that’s about all the mods I did for this one. For painting, I’ll stick to the original Juaggu color scheme.

Next Page »

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.