June 10, 2009 at 23:10 | Posted in 1/100 scale | 6 Comments
Tags: , , ,


Even though I promised myself to build some gunpla during the winter, I instead went into gunpla hibernation. I started with teh Overflag late autumn last year, and only in mid-spring did I finish it. Yeah, my building speed is a neck-breaking 2 gunpla per year. Anyway, unlike most kits I bought, I already had predetermined plans when I bought this kit: paint it and decal it like an aircraft. I had a bunch of aircraft decals so why not? My initial plan was to paint it green with Japanese aircraft decals but then I thought maybe I had too many green models so I opted for the white colored version of the WWII Zero Fighter plane.

Materials & Methods

The kit design itself is relatively uncomplicated, but somehow required more work than most MG kits. This is because of many visible seam-lines and some parts that needed pre-painting, masking and assembling. Case in point: the face visor. I painted the parts behind the face visor with silver, assembled the whole head and masked the visor part with tape. I also filled some gaps in the knee and foot with epoxy putty and added some detail parts on the chest & wing tips.

I was hoping for a creamy-white color for this kit, but I couldn’t find the appropriate spray can so I ended up buying a grey-white colored one. I sprayed Mr. Surfacer on the parts before spraying the grey-white color. Then I applied an enamel wash consisting of brown-yellow paint. The end result was somewhat more grey with a tint of blue. Then I made a last-minute decision to ditch the Zero fighter decal scheme and replace it with an American fighter decal scheme, which I thought was more matching with the final colors. Finally I applied some weathering in the form of rust color chipping and some soot/ash effects near the exhaust/turbine parts.



flag_02 flag_03

flag_04 flag_05

flag_06 flag_07 flag_08

flag_09 flag_10 flag_11 flag_12

flag_13 flag_14 flag_15

flag_16 flag_18 flag_17

flag_19 flag_20 flag_21 flag_22

flag_23 flag_25 flag_24



I didn’t really enjoy the building part of this kit, but the painting and decaling made up for it. I must say that this model kit is not very stable if you put it on standing position, due to the abnormally small feet. And in fighter mode it looks cool from certain angles but kinda awkward from other angles so I actually prefer to keep it in mobile suit mode. Overall its a relatively simple & straight-forward built and I’m pretty satisfied with the end result. I think the design is unique and refreshing, and is one of the nicer looking mobile suits from Gundam 00. Finally, I apologize for the shallow depth of field in the pictures; I was shooting handheld using the widest aperture.

Mass Production Gelgoog Ver2.0

August 2, 2008 at 22:23 | Posted in Master Grade | 3 Comments
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

I’ve noticed that I’ve been lacking Zeon monoeye units in my collection. Well this is the first step to fix that problem. My initial idea for this kit was not to paint it, but to apply some weathering and battle damage effects. I did however sprayed the inner frame with Mr Color Dark Grey spray can. I painted some details on the inner frame using Tamiya enamels and used wash method using flat black enamel for the panel lines. So here’s some pics of the inner frame first:

It was a real shame that I had to cover the inner frame with the armor. So much of the details like the ass and leg thrusters would be obscured from view. Even the eye slit was so narrow that you can hardly see the monoeye. Anyway, I decided to make a rough surface on the knees, foot and shield to add some weathered feel to the kit. The method can be found on the How-To section.

After putting on the last piece of external armor, I proceeded to giving it a full-body wash using a mix of flat brown and flat black enamels to give both panel-lining and weathering effects. Then I added battle damage using my penknife (I’m too cheap to buy another hobby knife). I used some pics from Dengeki Hobby magazine as reference on where to place the damage effects. Nothing major, mostly scratches and bullet damage. Then I painted chrome silver onto the damaged parts followed by a little bit of black to add some sense of depth to the damage.

The next step was my favourite, adding decals. The dry-transfer decals that came with the kit were not impressive, especially the huge words ‘Principality of Zeon’ for the shield. I only used a few of them and the rest I used water-slide decals I got from the Shizuoka Hobby Show. I added minor scratches to the decals to further simulate damage. And to top it off, I sprayed with flat Topcoat.

Overall, the design and details in this kit is awesome. Now comes the bad points. Too many parts in the inner frame adds a lot of weight to this kit, which in turn makes the joints loose very easily. The legs are particularly heavy, and the polycap joints in the groin can’t hold the weight when posing with lifted legs. Second, I was dissapointed it didn’t come with a backpack like previous Gelgoog MGs. Nevertheless, it was a fun build and worth my yen.

EDIT(8/19) – Added new pics with the minelayer backpack and bazooka I got from Toys R Us

« Previous Page

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.